Working together to carry out some of our daily tasks is a practical approach that is becoming more popular. When buying groceries, for example, we all want more fresh products at an affordable price. But buying from local producers takes time, and we often have to buy a large quantity to get a good price.
“I want to eat better quality food but I don’t have enough time or money to buy local produce”
What about organizing a group purchase with your friends and family? You could buy in bulk to reduce the cost and also save yourself time. This way, you support the local economy while reducing your carbon footprint. However, for this to work you need to be organized.
You could use the services of a specialized website, but as well as centralizing your purchases you will have to place your order through them. They need to make a healthy profit, which could quickly turn your environmentally responsible and economical idea into a lifestyle choice that is out of your budget.
Alternatively, you could phone people to take their orders or send text messages, but this is very time consuming. You could create a shared Excel file or Google spreadsheet in which people can write down what they need. The catch here is that (accidentally or not) everyone can change everyone else’s order. If a person wants to buy cabbage and the farmer you buy from doesn’t have any, you will have to refuse their order too. The time you initially believed you were saving is lost due to the time spent handling all of this.
Unfortunately, today’s planning tools are impractical and discourage people from making the change.
Use an advanced table to make working together a breeze
Many collaborative work methods have not been fully explored. Discover a new approach to organizing and moving ahead as a group, through communication and sharing. Do you keep bumping into the same people at the market? You realize that you are not just an isolated speck in the city but part of a much larger human patchwork with a practical purpose.
Decide whether participants can see what others have ordered or not
Making a group purchase for your mom (who needs some help these days) and an overworked neighbor? Set up your table so that each person only sees their own choices (the neighbor doesn’t need to know that your mom likes strawberry ice cream).
Enter the products and quantities that are available in advance
RowShare also lets you create multiple-choice lists. Choose to make some of your columns a “List of values”. Then add suggestions for products that you are willing to buy (and that are available). Also select the maximum quantity that you are willing to transport and some delivery time slots when you are available. This will help you to avoid any misunderstandings and help other people to choose quickly.
Receive an alert when someone changes something in your table
As soon as somebody makes a change to the table you will receive an email alert: Participants don’t have to bother you each time they change something. You can relax, RowShare will keep you informed. On the other hand, if you want to handle everything yourself, you can deactivate the alerts by clicking on the bell at the top of the table.
No more errors
You would like to let participants make their own product suggestions, but you are hesitant: you might not know what they are referring to. Don’t worry. To make things clearer, add an “image” column so that people can insert an image of a certain product.
I will walk you through account setup, copying my table, customizing it if necessary, and then you’ll be ready to use it.
- Access to my table to create your own from my template. Then, click on the « Settings » icon to customize the title and the table’s description.
- To add a new column, you have to press the « + » on top.
- Specify the column type. Don’t worry, you just need to choose if this column will hold numbers, text, dates, email addresses. To learn more about Types, click here.
- As owner of the table, you can choose how visible the table are for everyone: read and write or only read. These authorizations will apply to all of your table’s users to whom you’ll send the link… except yourself, obviously. Click here to learn more about Permissions. If you want that everybody can fill your table without seeing orders of the other people, prefer the following sharing rights:
- Your table is ready to be shared! Send the link directly to the people you want by copying it directly from the browser.
- If you want modify a column to add or delete a product, just click on this column then on Edit.
- Once you’ve shared your table, RowShare will notify you of every modification. To learn more about notifications, let’s read this summary!
You know everything : collaborate, organize… and treat yourself !